Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kahoona 9.5m - testing day 2 - February 11, 2009


At 3:30 p.m., nice NW 15mph wind kicked in nicely. I went out on the Kahoona 9.5m and Underground 2009 FLX 128. I appreciate the fact that the Kahoona is super easy to set up to fly right out the bag. Just hook the back flying line to the first knot of the rear bridle line and off you go. In wind 15mph on the beach, I did not have to pull in the depower strap then throw my unhooked tricks. The kite flies perfectly hooked in and unhooked on the same depower strap setting. Other kites would backstalled if I don't pull the depower strap in when unhooking.

As the wind picked up stronger and that I forgot to pull in the depower strap to compensate for the stronger wind, the bar pressure increased. Once I pulled the depower strap, the sweet spot moved closer to my body and hence the bar pressure felt a ton better.

I tested the Kahoona 9.5's hooked-in and unhooked KiteLoops. You really have to commit to the kiteloop as the Kahoona loops through the powerzone slower than the HP Nemesis 10m, a lot more like a C kite's Kiteloop feeling. After a few crashes, I started to boost big on the Kahooa 9.5m and looped the kite at the apex and whoa: it was so much fun.

Handlepasses, S bends tricks on the Kahoona 9.5 were nice and easy just like on the C kites. The Kahoona stayed exactly in the same place and did not drift.

I dumped the Kahoona many times today. It either stayed up there or sat right on the edge ready to fly.

I had so much fun today practicing unhooked tricks on the Kahoona 9.5m and the waves were small so I did not bother to go out on the surfboard.

In summary, the Kahoona 9.5m definitely has more bar pressure than the HP Nemesis 10m. Kahoona 9.5m really a solid, super stable, excellent kite to practice your unhooked wakestyle tricks. Just remember to trim the depower strap when the wind picked up. The Kahoona 9.5m relaunched super fast and automatically. I think a 10m Kahoona with ability to change the bar pressure would be my next favorite kite as it would give me a better low end wind range.